- NOTHING makes a prince so much esteemed as great enterprises and setting a fine example.
- God is not willing to do everything, and thus take away our free will and that share of glory which belongs to us.
- It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.
- It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles.
- Politics have no relation to morals.
- Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.
- Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that their suddenness may give less offense; benefits ought to be handed ought drop by drop, so that they may be relished the more.
Happy Birthday to Niccolo Machiavelli, author of The Prince. We'll celebrate by remembering his work, blogging the event, and patronizing a favored Italian restaurant.