Well, the 66% Genie has arrived and granted two of our three wishes as well as some things that others may have been wishing for as well. Google has release the GMail Labs version of GMail. If you'd like to turn your tried and true Chevy Impala of a GMail into the Mars Rover, you go into settings, click on the new labs tab and then enable the new features you are willing to experiment with. The GMail team cautions that features may break or disappear at any time, but that you won't be left in the lurch. You should be able to go into the labs tab at any time and opt out of your experimental test subject status returning to the known stable version of GMail.
Notable new GMail features available from GMail Labs:
- Quick Links - Adds a box to the left column that gives you 1-click access to any bookmarkable URL in Gmail.
- Superstars - Adds additional star icons.
- Fixed width font - Adds an option to the reply dropdown menu that lets you view a message in fixed width font.
- Custom keyboard shortcuts - Lets you customize keyboard shortcut mappings.
- Mouse gestures - Use your mouse to navigate with gestures. Sounds cool.
- Signature tweaks - Places your signature before the quoted text in a reply, and removes the "--" line that appears before signatures. Hooray!
- Old Snakey - play a game of snake. Huh?
- Hide Unread Counts - Hides the unread counts
qv: Gmail Labs